28/01/2016: Anglo American plc has been made aware that some of our shareholders are receiving unsolicited calls from persons seeking to purchase their shares. We understand that the calls are from overseas numbers and appear to be using high pressure tactics to persuade our shareholders to sell their shareholdings.
We believe this may be a “Boiler Room Scam” and that they are attempting to de-fraud shareholders. The Financial Conduct Authority provides the following advice regarding such matters:
- Brokerage firms authorised by the FCA are unlikely to contact you out of the blue with an offer to buy or sell shares.
- Do not get into a conversation, note the name of the person and firm contacting you and then end the call.
- Check the Financial Services Register from www.fca.org.uk to see if the person and firm contacting you is authorised by the FCA. If it is, use the number on the FCA website to call them back.
- Call the FCA on 0800 111 6768 if the firm does not have contact details on the Register or you are told they are out of date.
- The FCA also has a list of unauthorised firms to avoid at www.fca.org.uk/scams .
Buy and sell shares
A simple way exists for UK-resident shareholders to buy and sell shares by telephone, internet or post. We have arranged this facility with Equiniti (formerly Lloyds TSB Registrars).
Charges and contact details
| Commission || Minimum charge || Contact |
| Telephone || 1.5% on first £ 50,000 plus 0.2% on the remainder || £ 50.00 || 03456 037 037 |
Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
| Internet || 1.5% || £ 45.00 || www.shareview.co.uk/dealing |
| Post || 1.75% || £ 50.00 || From the UK: 0371 384 2030 * |
From any other country:
+44 121 415 7047
You will need your shareholder reference number. This number is shown on your share certificate.
UK stamp duty at 0.5% of the market price is payable when you buy shares.
This service is available only to people resident in the United Kingdom.
* Calls cost 8p per minute plus network extras.